Book a Complimentary Cosmetic Consultation
Subscribe for Promotions, Offers, Latest Updates
Dermatology on Bloor has been recognized by Consumer's Choice as a top cosmetic dermatology clinic in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014
Real Patients, Real Results!
With age comes experience and greater comfort living in our own skin. More birthdays can also mean more changes to the face we see in the mirror. We may not like the image staring back, and a big reason for that insecurity may be sagging skin.
As we get older, our skin loses the collagen and elastin fibers responsible for its firmness and flexibility. We shed fat in the deeper layers of our skin.
Ultraviolet light is the single biggest cause of damage to aging skin. Exposure to its rays from sunlight or tanning beds can age us before our time, breaking down the collagen and elastin already affected by the natural aging process. Without this connective tissue to support our skin, it loses its strength and elasticity.
Gravity makes problems associated with the skin’s loss of elasticity worse. It can cause eyebrows, lids, cheeks, jawline and even earlobes to droop. Wrinkles caused by sleeping on the same side of your face each night and by using the same muscles repeatedly to make facial expressions can deepen, because skin doesn’t bounce back as well.
Sagging skin treatment Toronto
We have post-World War II economic prosperity and the rise of Hollywood mega-stars partly to thank for advances in the treatments for sagging skin that we enjoy today.
A facelift can do just as its name suggests, lift our sagging faces by removing extra tissue, but you may not need nor want such a dramatic procedure.
At Dermatology on Bloor, we have many less invasive, yet highly effective ways to lift your sagging skin.
- Generally, laser treatments work by using an infrared beam to heat the underlying layer of skin where collagen resides.
- Laser procedures vary; for example, fractionated beams treat a fraction of skin to accelerate collagen production. Non-ablative options don’t treat as deeply and may be best if you have mild to moderate concerns and want minimal healing time.
- Thermage works in much the same way as the lasers mentioned above; however, it uses radiofrequency energy (not infrared light) to heat the treatment area.
- Chemical peels remove outer layers of skin, via application of a customized solution. The deeper the peel, the more dramatic the results (and the longer the healing time).
- Injectable options include soft-tissue fillers that use hyaluronic acid or poly-L-lactic to fill in folds by replacing lost collagen.
- Purified proteins may be injected to prevent muscles from tightening when we make a facial expression, resulting in a relaxed, smooth appearance.
There is no one perfect device or treatment. Call your sagging skin treatment Toronto experts to identify the right mix of solutions and the home regimen that works best for you.
We put academic qualifications, many years of combined experience, and training in a variety of special interest areas to work for your healthy, radiant skin. Our providers – Drs. Schachter, Hanna, Curtis, Abdulla, Pollack, and Taradash – welcome new patients for treatment at the Dermatology on Bloor practice on Park Road in Toronto. Our team is here to serve your needs.